[Mailman-Users] Installation on Mac OSX

Michael Johnson michael at emjay.net
Tue Mar 5 21:18:50 CET 2002

Hi gang

I've just installed Python and happily found it to be very simple.  I
also noted the incredible speed difference between a 500 iceBook, a
G4/400, and a G4/500.

Then it came time to install the mailman stuff.  I downloaded 2.0.8 and
unpacked it.  I went to add the user and group of mailman...no problem.

Then, it happened...

./configure --prefix=/Users/mailman

basic configure file output leading up to...

checking for mailman UID... ./configure: permission denied: conftest.py
[1152]
/usr/local/bin/python: can't open file 'conftest.py'
cat: conftest.out: No such file or directory

configure: error:
***** No "mailman" user found!
***** Your system must have a "mailman" user defined
***** (usually in your /etc/passwd file).  Please see the INSTALL
***** file for details.

I'm certain I have a user called mailman.  I'm also certain there's a
group called mailman, but it doesn't seem to have gotten far enough to
tell if it's there.

I know many of you have installed mailman...and I hope you can let me
know what I did wrong and lead me to the path of enlightenment.  =-)

-Michael