[Mailman-Users] Help! No posts after migrating Mailman list

Anna Fong anna at water.ca.gov
Thu Mar 14 19:56:50 CET 2002

There are no posts after migrating Mailman list.
Help!

Our organization has two versions of Mailman on two
different servers, both running production lists.  I
wanted to move my production lists off of my server
which is running an older version of Mailman to my
colleague's server.

Before I actually moved my production lists, I set up
a test list called migration_test.  I was able to post
to migration_test.  But once I moved migration_test, I
was no longer able to get posts to migration_test
though Mailman did send welcome and admin messages.
Additional info below.

Thanks in advance,
Anna

Old configuration
-----------------
Mailman 1.1
Sendmail
Solaris 2.6
Python 1.5.1

Migration
---------
cd ~/lists/
tar cvf migration_test.tar migration_test
cd ~/archives/private/
tar cvf migration.archive.tar migration_test
tar cvf migration.mbox.tar migration_test.mbox
ftp

New configuration
----------------
Mailman 2.0.8
Sendmail
Solaris
Python

Migration
---------
stop web server
stop sendmail
cd ~/lists/
tar xvf migration_test.tar
cd ~/archives/private/
tar xvf migration.archive.tar
tar xvf migration.mbox.tar
cd ~/archives/public
ln -s ~/archives/private/migration_test .
ln -s ~/archives/private/migration_test.mbox .
cd ~/bin/
move_list ~/lists/migration_test
arch ~/lists/migration_test
~/archives/private/migration_test.mbox/migration_test.mbox
vi /etc/aliases
newaliases
update mail aliases with name services
start sendmail