[Mailman-Users] Re: Feedback needed: nodupes patch and reply-to munging per user

Marc MERLIN marc_news at vasoftware.com
Fri Mar 15 20:45:29 CET 2002

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 02:42:14PM -0500, Barry A. Warsaw wrote:

>     MM> Ah, you want as a site owner to not have dupe removal enabled?
>     MM> Ok, then after installing mailman-cvs, make sure you set
>     MM> DEFAULT_NEW_MEMBER_OPTIONS to 0 (or make sure it doesn't
>     MM> contain 256).  If you are a list owner, the interface also
>     MM> allows you to not set nodupes by default for new users.
>
> I'm thinking that the default for DEFAULT_NEW_MEMBER_OPTIONS should be
> 0, not 256.  This feels better to me as more in-line with existing
> behavior.  Comments?

If you want to be really conservative, you can set it to 0.
That said,  while most people  I know dealt  with receiving dupes,  very few
actually wanted to receive them.
That's why I  thought enabling nodupes by  default would be a  good thing (I
also need to find a way to do a  mass change of all the membership of a list
to nodupes without checking boxes on the web interface)

I think  on this subject, you'll  have few people wanting  dupes by default,
and again, it's  a sitewide, listwide, and user-level setting,  so it can be
changed easily in the case the default isnt' good :)

Marc