[Mailman-Users] your software

Norbert Bollow nb at thinkcoach.com
Wed May 1 11:22:26 CEST 2002

Sandra Maynard <smaynard at agric.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

> dear Mailman,
> I currently use your Mailman software at work , through my univesity
> system, and a fabulous system  it is indeed. Do you have any equivalent
> software that would work on the web, but not using the linux operating
> system?

To be quite accurate, "Linux" is the name of a kernel which is
an important part of the operating system; the whole system
should properly be called GNU/Linux.

> Anything more user friendly for us computer morons?

Mailman is part of the GNU system (which, when combined with the
kernel called Linux, gives you GNU/Linux ).

We're working on making the GNU system more user-friendly to
users who are not so technically inclined.  (As a matter of
fact the GNU system is already very user friendly to users
like me who like editing configuration files in Emacs, etc.
It could be said that our system is just too selective in
choosing its friends :-)

The main point about GNU has always been to create a complete
operating system which is completely Free Software, for details
please refer to http://www.gnu.org/gnu/gnu-history.html

Would you be willing to help us with making the GNU system more
friendly to users like you?

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A founder of the http://DotGNU.org project and Steering Committee member