[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1b1 on MacOS X problem - public archives inaccessible

Peter Bengtson peter.bengtson at musikelit.nu
Tue May 7 14:59:43 CEST 2002

A while ago I upgraded from Mailman 2.0.9 to 2.1b1. No problems
encountered. However, I created a new list today using the web
interface. All our other lists use private archives, but this one's
archives should be public. Under 2.1b1, it doesn't work - accesses
result in a "Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /pipermail/
on this server", which is strange since private archives work perfectly,
and they use pipermail as well.

Switching the new list to private archives works fine - all messages
show up. But switching back to public archives give the "Forbidden"
message above.

Running bin/check_perms reveals several errors (2.1b1 definitely does
_not_ set up privileges correctly in all cases, particularly on
extracted attachments, so it is a good idea to run bin/check_perms -f
now and then). Correcting these errors using -f does not get rid of the
pipermail permission problem.

Checking the actual permissions, there is an 's' flag in there. Also,
the public archives are merely symbolic links into the private hierarchy.

The machine is an Mac OS X 10.2 one.

	/ Peter Bengtson