[Mailman-Users] Help

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue May 14 09:08:55 CEST 2002

On Mon, 13 May 2002 22:39:22 -0400
AerosmithFanClub com List Admin <listadmin at aerosmithfanclub.com> wrote:

> Herein lies the rub with the mailman program.

Let's keep this simple: If you merely wish to complain, please do so
somewhere else.  We're not interested.  If you'd like to help then by
all means chime up and we'll do what we can to help.

Now pick.  Now.

> Many users have this in a shared server environment...

That is not Mailman's target audience, deployment, or particular
interest.  The fact that it is effectively used that way is gratifying,
but that's rather beside the point.  Future versions of Mailman will
better support such installations, and the current 2.0.10 is far slicker
than prior versions, but like all Open Source projects, its a work in
progress.

> There should be options in the admin interface to handle all of this.

Thankyou for your excellent analysis.  When can we expect your patch to
add these features?

> The 'fix' you offer me for this question is not a fix at all.

Ahh.  When can we expect your patch to do it properly?

> Heck bounced messages should NOT default to being stored anyway.

There are good reasons for both approaches.  When can we expect your
patch to make this configurable?

> The whole purpose of closing a list is to not get crap mail that you
> dont want.

No.  That is your purpose, but that is not my purpose for any of the
half-dozen closed lists I run, or the purpose of most of the other
closed lists I'm a member of.

Some.  Not all.

> If I wanted to have to approve mail i would have set it up to be
> moderated.

Which is what Mailman supports, it just extends the semantics of
moderation in a manner which is different to Majordomo.

--
J C Lawrence