[Mailman-Users] All addresses not on the local box bounce with SMTPDirect

Cassandra Fleetwood csf at incose.propagation.net
Sun May 26 02:13:44 CEST 2002

I want to use SMTPDirect, but I need help determining what is misconfigured
in Sendmail.
The box is a dedicated and co-located at an ISP. I have root access.
Technical support at the ISP claims Sendmail is configured correctly,
because they can send/receive mail from the box. Since they do not support
third party programs (Mailman), I'm on my own.

My configuration:
RedHat 7.2
Apache-1.3.23
Python-1.5.2
Sendmail-8.11.6

When I send a message to a list that contains an address external to local
box the following error message is logged in /var/maillog

May 25 12:13:36 incose sendmail[15859]: g4PHDaK15859: ruleset=check_rcpt,
arg1=<csfleetwood at cox.net>,
relay=localhost [127.0.0.1], reject=550 5.7.1 <csfleetwood at cox.net>... relay
attempt failed

/etc/mail/access contains: