[Mailman-Users] Mailman problem

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 11 16:57:36 CET 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 19:44, Johnathon B. Allread - East Coast Computers

> > FAQ entry 3.14 section 2
> Which web site is this from?  I am looking at:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/faq.html
> not sure what you are referring to.  I see a couple of website
> pertaining to mailman.  What is the offical website?

Look at the bottom of every email that comes from the list:

> > BTW: the FAQ is open source.  Feel free to adjust it so others who
> > follow will have an easier time...
> Sounds great, I will.  However, I believe the developers should edit the
> new list script to tell the user to edit the aliases file so this list
> won't have so many posts about the same problem.  Since most new users
> to a mailing list such as myself, don't know how Mailman interacts with
> the MTA.  Now that I know, I will educate the other members of my Unix
> user group.

RTFM... use: newlist -o /etc/aliases

Or substitute the "newlist" command with your own script:
  #! /bin/bash
  # newlst: script to run Mailman's "newlist" command
  # but automatically put the output into my aliases
  # file and then run newaliases
  # For this script to runs "newaliases" you must execute
  # it as root (or give mailman sudo access to newalaises)
  ~mailman/bin/newlist -o /etc/aliases $1 $2 $3

Here is the help information for the "newlist" command:
~mailman/bin/newlist -h

Create a new, unpopulated mailing list.

Usage: newlist [options] listname listadmin-addr admin-password

        Normally the administrator is notified by email (after a prompt)
        their list has been created.  This option suppresses that
        notification and the prompting.

    -o file
        Append the alias setting recommendations to file, in addition to
        printing them to standard output.

        Print this help text and exit.

You can specify as many of the arguments as you want on the command
line: you will be prompted for the missing ones.

Note that listnames are forced to lowercase.