[Mailman-Users] Mailman problem

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 11 16:57:36 CET 2002

On Sun, 2002-11-10 at 19:44, Johnathon B. Allread - East Coast Computers
wrote:

> > FAQ entry 3.14 section 2
>
> Which web site is this from?  I am looking at:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/faq.html
>
> not sure what you are referring to.  I see a couple of website
> pertaining to mailman.  What is the offical website?

Look at the bottom of every email that comes from the list:
  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py

> > BTW: the FAQ is open source.  Feel free to adjust it so others who
> > follow will have an easier time...
>
> Sounds great, I will.  However, I believe the developers should edit the
> new list script to tell the user to edit the aliases file so this list
> won't have so many posts about the same problem.  Since most new users
> to a mailing list such as myself, don't know how Mailman interacts with
> the MTA.  Now that I know, I will educate the other members of my Unix
> user group.

RTFM... use: newlist -o /etc/aliases

Or substitute the "newlist" command with your own script:
  #! /bin/bash
  # newlst: script to run Mailman's "newlist" command
  # but automatically put the output into my aliases
  # file and then run newaliases
  # For this script to runs "newaliases" you must execute
  # it as root (or give mailman sudo access to newalaises)
  ~mailman/bin/newlist -o /etc/aliases $1 $2 $3
  newaliases

===
Here is the help information for the "newlist" command:
~mailman/bin/newlist -h

Create a new, unpopulated mailing list.

Usage: newlist [options] listname listadmin-addr admin-password

    -q
    --quiet
        Normally the administrator is notified by email (after a prompt)
that
        their list has been created.  This option suppresses that
        notification and the prompting.

    -o file
    --output=file
        Append the alias setting recommendations to file, in addition to
        printing them to standard output.

    -h/--help
        Print this help text and exit.

You can specify as many of the arguments as you want on the command
line: you will be prompted for the missing ones.

Note that listnames are forced to lowercase.
===