[Mailman-Users] Running mailman and MTA on different machines

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 18 17:55:34 CET 2002

You can do this just fine, but it becomes a bit ridiculous.  You have to
have an MTA on the server that is running Mailman (something has to
accept the mail, and something has to send it!).  And then you have to
replicate the local mailman aliases from the local server onto your main
mail server.

It does work fine, and I've set this up for folks who wanted a separate
internal server running Mailman, but used an external mail server for
all the corporate inbound mail.

Still, I setup the internal Mailman server to do its own outbound mail.
Worked fine and didn't overload the existing systems.

On the mailman server, I wrote a script that replaced "newaliases" and
performed the functions of "newaliases" but also moved a copy out to the
external mailserver.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes
===