[Mailman-Users] virus (worm) protection?

Dan Wilder dan at ssc.com
Mon Oct 14 18:28:58 CEST 2002

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 11:11:39AM -0600, Armando Soto Baeza wrote:
> Check procmail-sanitizer, it's great!
>
> http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html
>
> > What is a good virus (worm) protection tool for mailman?
> >
> > I have a virus message in the archives now.  How do I remove a single
> > message from the archives?
> >
> > thanks much!

As to removing a single article, I believe the easiest way is to
regenerate the archive.  Presuming you're using pipermail, that is.

Supposing your pipermail directory is:

  /var/lib/mailman/archives/

Mailman is installed in

  /usr/lib/mailman/

and your list is

  notme-list

Then, as a user with write access to the pipermail archives,

  cd /var/lib/mailman/archives/private/notme-list.mbox/

With your favorite email client, open the file

  notme-list.mbox

delete the offending post, and rewrite notme-list.mbox

Next, rebuild the archive for notme-list:

  /usr/lib/mailman/bin/arch notme-list

and you're done.

 Dan Wilder <dan at ssc.com>   Technical Manager
 SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549   Phone:  206-782-8808
 Seattle, WA  98155-0549    URL http://www.linuxjournal.com/