[Mailman-Users] Need help on email headers

mailman at tux.org mailman at tux.org
Thu Oct 24 22:26:47 CEST 2002

On Mon, 21 Oct 2002, Terence wrote:

> I see some redundant links on the email headers, listed below:

> Is there any way to remove those above while only maintaining the
> List-Id?. Those lines are extras since we can follow the link below
> to configure our options

The purpose of these header fields can be found in RFC 2369.  As noted
in the abstract of that document, the idea is to provide a formal way
to present that information, so that end-user e-mail software can grab
the info and present buttons, menu itmes, icons, or whathaveyou to the
user for quick access to the associate actions.

Thus, from a standards point-of-view, it is the footer lines that are
redundant, not the List-* headers.

But, since making use of the List-* headers directly is not yet a
widely adopted feature of e-mail software, having the footer lines in
the message still serves a purpose.

If the List-* header fields -really- bother you, you can modify Mailman
or pass the messages through a filter that strips out the List-* headers
that you don't want, or some similar strategy.

- Andrew