OFFTOPIC Re: [Mailman-Users] Archive URL in postings (2.1b3)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Oct 30 04:51:03 CET 2002

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002 13:33:08 -0600
John Buttery <john at io.com> wrote:
> * Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> [2002-10-29 10:45:28
> -0800]:
>> On Tuesday, October 29, 2002, at 10:38 AM, Jay Sekora wrote:

>> Because it's simply a lie.  I got this mail with the headers:

>> sorry. don't agree.

> "Lie" is kinda an interesting way to put it, but I think we all know
> what he means.  How can you say that readdressing a mail (which is
> what you're doing here) isn't a "lie" the way he's referring to it?
> It's in plain black and white.

Sure it is.  You assuming a certain set of semantic connotations for the
To: and Cc: headers and then inferentially assume that everybody else
operates on the same understanding of those headers.  The problem is
that its just not true.  Your assumptions are neither universal or
necessarily shared.

>> >What that means to me is that Chuq Von Rospach knows me, knows my
>> email >address, deliberately decided to send this mail to me
>> specifically,
>>
>> um, interesting philosophy. I don't buy it. Not for a moment.

> Well, OK then, how would you differentiate this new behaviour from a
> hypothetical message I might have sent pre-upgrade that _did_ have
> your address in the To: and the list in the CC:?

One has a List-ID header, one doesn't.

One has an In-Reply-To that references my prior post, one doesn't.

> Hint: you can't.

Sure I can.

> (Of course, I acknowledge that sending a copy directly to a person who
> is already subscribed to the list is a bit silly/redundant, but I
> don't see that that dilutes the point at all.  In five seconds I can
> think of a case where this would happen...I see a mail off the list, I
> don't know someone is subscribed, so I send them my followup but also
> CC the list because I think it pertains there also.  With this new
> function, you've just erased anybody's ability to tell the difference
> between those two situations.)

Ignoring the aspects of etiquette in quoting a private email in a public
forum, this is also not a problem for the same reasons as above.

--
J C Lawrence