[Mailman-Users] error log reports miss spelled listname?

Kirk R. Wythers kwythers at umn.edu
Fri Aug 8 19:31:19 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 09:25, Richard Barrett wrote:

> Does the moved list have a directory called $prefix/list/<listname> and
> if it is set for archiving a directory called
> $prefix/archives/private/<listname> and
yes
> $prefix/archives/private/<listname>.mbox?
yes

> How/what exactly did you move when you moved this old list to the new
> MM 2.1.2 installation?
I untarred the achive, moved it all to $prefix/ and then ran ./fix_url

> Does this old list show up on the /mailman/listinfo and /mailman/admin
> URI response pages?
yes

> Did you run prefix/bin/check_perms -f after manually moving this old
> list into the new MM installation area?
yes... no errors

> Have you tried running fix_url against this moved list?
yes... did that when I moved the list in oreder to get the list pointing
to the right url

> > The only other odd thing is when I querry 'owner' like this:
> >
> > /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner
> >

> I do not know what you are trying to achieve by running this command
> and what you mean by "querying 'owner'".
>
> What you are in fact doing is running the Mailman mail delivery program
> wrapper which is intended to be called by the MTA to deliver messages
> to Mailman. This wrapper checks the egid it is called with is that
> specified by the --with-mail-gid value from the ./configure during
> installation. As this condition is not being satisfied when you are
> running it from the command line you get an error reported to that
> effect.

If the gid wheel is a problem, then why do newly created lists work
fine?

I tied changing the group with:

chgrp -v -R -L mailnull /usr/sbin/sendmail

then restarting sendmail and mailman. But it has no effect. What else
does the message 'try tweaking your mailserver to run the group mailnull
mean I should try... obviously I don't know what is meant by the term
'tweaking'

--
Kirk R. Wythers			Department of Forest Resources
Tel: 612.625.2261		University of Minnesota