[Mailman-Users] Mailman + htDig

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Fri Aug 8 22:01:18 CEST 2003

On Friday, August 8, 2003, at 06:34  pm, Rich West wrote:

> I realize this has come up often in the list, but hit a snag and was
> not sure where else to turn.  I couldn't find much in the archives
> that addressed this, but if it is a duplicate, please accept my
> apologies.
>
> I've applied the htDig patches :
> http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/patches/728836/templates-2.1.2-
> 0.1.patch
> http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/patches/732366/tz-2.1.2-0.2.patch
> http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/patches/730769/tcache-2.1.2-0.3.patch
> http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/patches/444879/indexing-2.1.2-
> 0.1.patch
> http://www.openinfo.co.uk/mailman/patches/444884/htdig-2.1.2-0.4.patch
>
> And all were applied happily.
>
> The indexing appears to be happening correctly on the filesystem level
> since the htdig directory is being created, the conf file is being
> created,

Can you confirm you mean that the per-list htdig directories of the
following form are being created:

$prefix/archives/private/<listname>/htdig are being created

and that inside each of them there is a file named <listname>.conf

Is there also a file called rundig_last_run and a bunch of ,db files in
any of these per list directories?

> and if I manually perform a search (htsearch -c <blah>)

While htsearch is used for index searching, it is not called directly
from the form on the list TOC page with the integration but via the
$prefix/Mailman/Cgi/mmsearch.py script.

When you run htsearch -c are you specifying the configuration file path
as:

$prefix/archives/private/<listname>/htdig/<listname>.conf

> , I do get output and results.

How have the search indexes being used by htsearch when you run it by
hand been built? Did you run nightly_htdig by hand?

What form do the URLs of search hits in the response returned by
htsearch take?

> However, I am not getting the search form at the top of the index.html
> page as is supposed to happen.  So, as expected, I cannot search via
> the web interface. :(

The trigger for this form to be added to a list's archive TOC page is a
new message being sent to that particular list. And until nightly_htidg
has been run (which can be done from the command lien as well as by
cron) no per-list search indexes will be in existence. Are these
criteria being met and yet still the form does not appear on a list's
archive TOC page?

> The index.html file *IS* being updated, but nothing is getting added
> to it (no search form)...

Does line 757 (or thereabouts) of $prefix/Mailman/Archiver/HyperArch.py
contain the following text:

d["htsearch"] = quick_maketext('TOC_htsearch.html', dict=h,

This is the code that generates the form that is added to the html of
the list's TOC page a few lines further on. If this line is missing
then the patching has failed somehow.

> I *believe* I followed the htdig docs to the letter,

Do you mean the INSTALL.htdig-mm document in the Mailman build
directory?

>  but it seems as if I am still missing something.

Check out my questions and get back to me.