[Mailman-Users] Listserv wide announcements?

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Aug 12 15:21:45 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 07:55, John Wofford wrote:
> I run reasonably large mailman list server, and I've recently been doing
> some upgrades.  I've been on a time crunch or I wouldn't have pushed this
> to get to the point I'm in without knowing this, but here is my situation:
>
> Our list server runs with qmail, and as the alias creation has always been
> a bit of a pain, we decided to go with the mailman-to-qmail.py contrib
> script and migrate our lists over to an dedicated domain.  The problem is
> this, I now need to notify everyone on ~50 lists that the e-mail address
> has now changed.  This is somewhat urgent, as I don't want people to get
> too many bounced e-mails before they figure it out.  Is there a nice,
> clean, and preferably easy way to send out an announcement to the *entire*
> listserve?  Any other suggestions?
>
> Many thanks,
> -John

You'll have to send the message out to each list (as a valid member of
each list).

I hope you aren't discarding the old email addresses for the list.
Instead, simply alias your old lists addresses to the new addresses -
forward the traffic on to the new list names.

You will have to do maintenance to each existing list (since you are
changing the mailing address), as part of that maintenance add the old
and new email addresses as valid implicit addresses for the list.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes