[Mailman-Users] unsubscribe options

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Sat Aug 16 12:08:51 CEST 2003

On Saturday, August 16, 2003, at 09:17  am, Nils Puhlmann wrote:

> Raquel,
> Thanks for the response. You say that 2.1.2 provides what I am asking
> for but in the privacy options I only find the option for having a
> confirmation message sent for "subscribing" but not for
> "unsubscribing" members. Perhaps you can enlighten me where you find
> the option to verify that an unsubscribe request actually came from
> the member itself (confirmation)?
>
> thanks, Nils
>
> At 08:40 AM 8/15/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 14:21:25 -0700
>> Nils Puhlmann <npuhlmann at westbay.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> > I just installed mailman and found out that there does not seem to
>> > be an option to have confirmed unsubscribes?

With MM 2.1.2 all unsubscribes not done by the list admin are
confirmed, as follows:

1. email unsubscribe with password supplied: no further action required.

2. email unsubscribe without password supplied: confirmation email sent
out requiring reply or web interface confirmation via emailed URL,
UNLESS Privacy->"Is the list moderator's approval required for
unsubscription requests?" option set for the list. In this latter case
only list moderator approval is necessary.

3. web interface unsubscribe with password supplied: no further action
required

4. web interface unsubscribe without password supplied: confirmation
email sent out requiring reply or web interface confirmation via
emailed URL, UNLESS Privacy->"Is the list moderator's approval required
for unsubscription requests?" option set for the list. In this latter
case only list moderator approval is necessary.

What else in the way of confirmation of an unsubscribe are you looking
for?

>> > It is a good idea to prevent others from unsubscribing members and
>> > the password is really inconvenient when people want to get off a
>> > list but do not remember their password.

To unsubscribe without a password, the user can just email to
<listname>-unsubscribe and then respond to the confirmation message
emailed back to them. No need to have or remember their password.

People can always get a password reminder emailed to them via the link
on the list's listinfo page or unsubscribe without a password via the