[Mailman-Users] mass subscribe using script or cut/paste?

Matthew Davis matthew.davis at dogpound.vnet.net
Tue Feb 11 05:24:33 CET 2003

* Andy Firman (debian at firman.us) wrote:

> I have 3,000 emails I need to get into a new Mailman mailing list.
> Do you think I can cut and paste into the admin membership-
> management interface?  I have no clue what it can handle.
> I searched the archives but did not find anything similar to my question.

My guess is it'll take a while to process that large amount of addresses.

> The box I am using is remote and I only have ssh access to it along
> with the web management page of course.
> I suppose I could use wget, ftp, or maybe scp to get the file
> to the remote box to use the add_members script.  At this time I am not too
> comfortable and confident doing something like that file transfer.

This would be the easiest way to accomplish your goal.  You could even email
that file as an attachment then handle the file on that box.  If you need
help with the other transfer commands (scp/ftp/wget) I can give pointers
there if necessary.

Then adding the users would be as easy as

# add_members --regular-members-file=textfile listtoaddto

--
Matthew Davis
http://dogpound.vnet.net/

Book never written: "Dog training." by Wille Bite