[Mailman-Users] Mailman's Host Name & sendmail's Virtual Users

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 16 21:33:10 CET 2003

On Sun, 2003-02-16 at 15:00, Keith Mastin wrote:

> Hope I'm not too far out of line here, but I gotta say it. If this is your
> first mail server, you might find that postfix is easier to setup and
> understand. Virtual tables make a lot more sense and you can edit the
> config file (main.cf) directly rather than running it through m4.

Just to clear up some mis-conceptions about Sendmail,
 1) virtual tables under Sendmail are easy to setup.  Just as easy as
Postfix.
 2) You *can* edit sendmail.cf (Sendmail's main config file) directly.
In fact the comments inside the file are quite helpful.  You do not need
to use M4 for changes to Sendmail - some folks just like that better.

> What you are trying to do can be done in postfix in about a minute, by
> creating one file, adding a line or two to the main.cf file and running
> postfix reload. (As long as you dns is set up correctly, that is.)

The same is exactly true for Sendmail.

In my experience, Sendmail only has two failings: it does reverse
aliasing poorly for virtual hosts, and it is not an optimized MTA.
Still Sendmail works and works well.

Jon Carnes (reformed Sendmail junkie)