[Mailman-Users] Challenge

Larry Hansford lhansfor at lch-assoc.com
Mon Feb 17 22:44:31 CET 2003

At 04:11 PM 2/17/2003, you wrote:
>At 20:13 17/02/2003, Cody Harris wrote:
>Why not use Win 98 as a server platform on which to run Mailman?
>
>Quite simply because it is not a robust Operating System with any real
>pretensions to being even a modestly secure server platform. Win 98, 98SE
>and ME have never been proposed for such use, even by Microsoft, and for
>the good reasons that they are not suitable for it.
>
>Expending effort on getting Mailman to run on Win 98 is a waste of effort.
>Win NT has no future but might have been an arguable case, Win 2k and XP
>also an arguable case.
>
>But, if you've got modest Wintel hardware,the best way to exploit it is
>with Linux. For effectively nothing, you get a robust, secure server
>platform which will do more work under Linux that under a modern Micrososft OS.

I think that is the first time I've heard Microsoft accused of making an
OS!  Ha!   Which platform do they sell that could be considered an
OS?  Certainly not Win98, as you indicated.

I couldn't agree more, though, about setting up a Linux box to run the mail
server, list server, etc., on.  Then you don't have to worry about lost
mail, etc., when you get the pop-up message on the Windows desktop that
says, "Warning!  Your mouse has moved, you must restart Windows  OK"