[Mailman-Users] A Known bug with confirmation string & excessive bounces

VLists.Net Support Support at VLists.Net
Tue Feb 18 16:57:59 CET 2003

Altho I haven't seen the problem on any of the lists I run on my own
server, I have experienced this exact problem on both mailman-users and
mailman-developers lists here.

What gets me about this is that altho it says I'm generating excessive
bounces, I get the bounce notification just fine.  But when I hit the URL,
it gives me an invalid confirmation string.  Also, I appear to be receiving
email from both lists just fine until I get these notices.

I might suggest that a change be made to the code that when these excessive
bounce notices are sent, that the most recent bounce message be included
with the notice.  There is no reason for my mail to bounce.  I've NEVER had
mail bounce before.   I suspect that the bouncing mail is probably really
an address above or below mine in the database and that the excessive
bounce process is off by one in the subscriber list when it decides to cut
someone off, and as a result I get cut off instead of the address next to
me which is the one that's really bouncing.  Having the most recent bounce
included in the notification would allow me, as a user, to take steps to
prevent the bounces in the future, and prove whether it really was me or
not that was bouncing.  Otherwise this is a fairly unfriendly action being
taken by mailman, imho.