Example of bad line break in subject header was Re: [Mailman-Users] Upgrade from 2.0.x to 2.1.1-- incorrect padding error.

Mitchell Marks mitchell at cuip.net
Mon Feb 24 00:48:11 CET 2003

I'm enclosing below the full headers from Sumeet P's recent message, as
they reached me.  This shows the formatting problem discussed last week,
mentioned on the Mailman-Users list by Sarah from NOW and seconded by me,
and also turned over a little on the Developers list.

The discussion on Developers included requests for an example that would
reproduce the problem.  I don't know if this one will show the same
behavior if re-tried on another installation, but here we can at least see
it happening someplace we can observe in common.  (In case this gets
mangled on the way back through, the Subject header as I've received it and
pasted below is: first line " [Mailman-Users] " then second line a Tab and
the rest "  Upgrade from 2.0.x to 2.1.1-- incorrect padding error. ")

I've installed the recommended Headers.py patch (and checked that it is
/this/ headers.py that is being used), and I thought briefly that the
problem was solved for my installation -- but it isn't. I'll quote a
subject string that I've seen problems with, but note that whether it's
reproducible seems to depend on what list it's going through.  Here's the
example: "[CUIP Activity]  NSPTECH 2097 Alex Wilson  Wednesday 2003-01-15
OS install/Printer Install".  It breaks after the list tag [CUIP Activity],
and so do test messages with longish subjects that go through that
list.  But if I send a message with that same header through a Test list
(or any of several others), it doesn't break funny.  I'm trying to figure
out the differences between the lists, but haven't managed to make the
error happen in the Test list by fiddling with Language Options and
Personalization.

I'm close to ready to just suppress all wrapping in Subjects if that would
cure this oddity.  Would that be a disaster waiting to happen?  How hard
would it be (I don't know much about the Mailman python code)?

Thanks,

   Mitch Marks

P.S.  The point was made in the Developers discussion that Eudora's
handling of the newlines in the summary windows may not accord to the
relevant standard.  Would someone who can speak to this fairly
authoritatively feel like sending a report/suggestion in Qualcomm's
direction?  This is indeed only bothering Eudora users here.  (Including me...)

The headers for the example passing through Mailman-Users:

 >At 03:23 PM 2/23/03, Sumeet wrote:
 >From: "Sumeet" <sumeetp at hotmail.com>
 >To: <mailman-users at python.org>
 >Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 13:23:58 -0800

tests=BODY_PYTHON_ZOPE,FORGED_HOTMAIL_RCVD,FROM_BIGISP,LARGE_HEX,SPAM_PHRAS

--
Mitchell Marks
CUIP Tech Coordinator    http://cuip.uchicago.edu

Telephone:  Ofc 773-702-6041
         Fax 702-8212
         Home (v.m. only, ok any time) 241-7166
Email: Primary address: mitch at cuip.uchicago.edu
         Alternate UofC addresses (use especially to report problems with
cuip.uchicago.edu): mitchell at cs.uchicago.edu and mmar at midway.uchicago.edu
         Off-campus (ISP) address: mmarks at pobox.com