[Mailman-Users] [bug in mm2.1] mailmanctl doesn't set groups.

Jonas Meurer jonas at freesources.org
Tue Jul 1 17:51:57 CEST 2003

On 01/07/2003 Richard Barrett wrote:
> >the mailmanctl script doesn't set groups.
> >so when i run mailmanctl as root, i become list:list but still have the
> >groups that root has. that's a grave security bug.
>
> I think not. I believe you are mistaking the meaning of the output from the
> id command you are running. The group affiliations of the process do not
> mean that the uid in the output  has privileges of those groups. Just try
> getting the code in the ArchRunner.py to modify a file owned by root with
> no write privileges for other when mailmanctl has ben started by root to
> see what I mean. The process will only have the privileges associated with
> the uid/euid and gid/egid.

ok, i believe that, but it's still a bug. add user list (running
mailman) to a group (i.e. testgroup), and try to modify a file owned
by someone.testgroup with write privileges only for group (and user if
you want).
that's exactly why i found that bug. the user (list) that runs my external
archiver (lurker) has to be in group lurker.

bye
 mejo

ps: i'm not subscribed to mailman-developers

--
Efficiency and progess is ours one more
Now that we have the Neutron bomb