[Mailman-Users] using mailman with web server and email server on seperate boxes

John Cichy john at greengator.com
Tue Jul 1 20:14:14 CEST 2003

I have tried to search the archives and the FAQ's to no avail, so I'm
coming to the list.

I currently have a mail server running on one box and a web server
running on another. I have set up mailman to run on the web server which
has Exim running in smarthost mode (all mail not for local machine is
sent to the email server), but does not 'listen' for incoming mail.
Users can sign up for the list and they get the confirmation/welcome
emails (as long as they request/confirm on the web). I have tried
setting up fetchmail on the web server to go to the mail server and pick
up mail for the list, which it can, but then it fails when trying to
pass the mail to Exim. I did set up the alias file on the web server as
the doc say, and duplicated it on the email server.

Has anyone accomplished a similar setup that might be able to point me
in the right direction for more info and configs? Or am I completely
crazy for attempting such an arrangement?

All help will be welcome...
John