[Mailman-Users] Hosting mailman on one host and having the MTA on another host, linked over a dsl cable, is it okay ?

centt centaurez at tri-oxyde.org
Mon Jul 14 10:03:53 CEST 2003

Good morning,

I would like to know if it is okay to have mailman running on one host,
and sending mails through another machine which hosts the MTA. The two
boxes are linked by a 512/128 DSL link.

Mailman will be used to send announcements over a 8000 members list.

I won't enable personalization.

Would it be okay in term of performance? Or will it use too much
bandwidth? I read in the doc that says that mailman "batches" the sends
in order to limit used bandwidth but I didn't understand what that
means. Does mailman send only one mail to the MTA and the MTA will send
the 8000 ones over its own link or is it something else?

Thanks in advance for your explanation!

Julien Carosi