[Mailman-Users] RE: Mail bouncing if sent to mailman-owner at testlist.localdomain2.com

Shobhan Challa shobs at shobs.cybernetsoft.com
Fri Jul 18 08:33:42 CEST 2003

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your mail, but i tried creating mailing-list on the
command-line like this:

$: /mailman/bin/newlist --quiet
  Enter the name of the list: mylist
  Enter the email of the person running the list: root at localdomain2.com
  Initial mylist password:
  Entry for aliases file:

  ## mylist mailing list
  ## created: 18-Jul-2003 root
  mylist:                  "|/mailman/mail/wrapper post
 mylist"
  mylist-admin:            "|/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner
 mylist"
  mylist-request:          "|/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd
 mylist"
  mylist-owner:            mylist-admin

should i need to add the above three lines to my /etc/alaises ..?? If so
any mail i address to 'mailman-owner' will be sent..??
and also i didnt find the program 'newaliases'.

Thanks for your help
Schalla

>>      When you create a list you get a set of aliases that need to be
>>added to /etc/aliases.  If you created via the web the aliases were
mailed to the list administrator.  If you created the list via SSH the
aliases were listed there.  Without these aliases your server has no way
to process mailman addresses.  And of course do newaliases if needed.

<>< Paul

Hi,

Im using using mailman integrated with another application. When i create
a list i get a mail from "mailman-owner at localdomain.com2" saying that
mailing list has been created and the list address..and in the last part
of the mail it says "Please address all questions to
mailman-owner at localdomain2.com".

Now what i did was i sent a mail to "mailmain-owner at localdomain2.com", but
the mail bounces with the following content:
--->

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 14:37:36 +0530 From: Mail Delivery System
<Mailer-Daemon at localdomain2.com> To: root at localdomain2.com Subject: Mail
delivery failed: returning message to sender

  mailman-owner at localdomain2.com
    unknown local-part "mailman-owner" in domain "localdomain2.com"

Can anyone tell me how to enable this account or where to configure, so
that the mail sent to "mailman-owner at localdomain2.com" is delieverd...??

The following are the configuration settings in the
mailman/Mailman/Default.py:

# Don't change MAILMAN_URL, unless you want to point it at the list.org
# mirror.
MAILMAN_URL = 'http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html'
#MAILMAN_URL = 'http://www.list.org/'

# Site-specific settings
DEFAULT_HOST_NAME   = 'linuxroute.dev.sf.net'
# DEFAULT_URL must end in a slash!
DEFAULT_URL         = 'http://linuxroute.dev.sf.net/mailman/'
# PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL and PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL should not end in slashes!
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL  = '/pipermail'
PRIVATE_ARCHIVE_URL = '/mailman/private'

HOME_PAGE         = 'index.html'
MAILMAN_OWNER     = 'mailman-owner@%s' % DEFAULT_HOST_NAME

The config details in the mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py are:

# Put YOUR site-specific settings below this line.
DEFAULT_HOST_NAME   = 'localdomain2.com'
DEFAULT_URL         = 'https://localdomain2.com/mailman/'
PUBLIC_ARCHIVE_URL  = '/mailman/archives'

USE_CRYPT           = 0
MAILMAN_OWNER       = 'root at localdomain2.com'

Before posting this question i tried adding aliase to /etc/aliases like
this:
mailman-owner: root

after doing this i was able to send mail to
"mailman-owner at localdomain2.com" from the same machine, but this approach
fails when i try to send mail to the same id from a different machine.

Can anyone help.

Thanks in advance.
Schalla