Apology/Retry Re: [Mailman-Users] passwords, confirmation emails, clunky web interfaces, and my grandmother

David Hunt tnuhdivad at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 01:46:16 CEST 2003

Aw, geez, Richard, you're right.  I'm sorry for acting like a jerk with my
first post; I was just really frustrated because I've been working on this
for a month with very little success.  Please accept my apology and let me
try again.

The company that hosts my website is running Mailman 2.1.2 (recently
upgraded), and although they do fine for normal questions, I don't really
think they're Mailman "experts".  As for myself, I already know the options
available in Mailman's web interface and understand most of them (I think).
I have read what documentation I could find - which only amounted to the
expanded explanations of those options.  My questions boil down to:

1. Can you run a list without having passwords assigned to the subscribers
at all?  From the responses I've received, I'm guessing that it really can't
be done (there's a feature suggestion), but I think I can come up with some
workarounds, like the one suggested by Howard in
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-July/030023.html.

2. How can I change the confirmation and welcome emails?  I still want them,
but I want them to be completely different, not just with text added using
that option.  I've found this post from Todd
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2003-June/029473.html - which
may help, except I can't find these folders in Mailman's web interface, and
I'm not sure how to access them otherwise.

The company that hosts my website said that these two things are impossible
of accomplishment, but as I said, I don't think they are really experts with
Mailman, and I'm hoping that someone here will have a better answer.

Sincerely,
David