[Mailman-Users] Auto-Responder Question

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 16:49:22 CEST 2003

I do not use these autorepsond features myself which is why I have not
responded previously to this post of yours; I do not always have the
time to reseach other people's problems if my own usage is different to
theirs.

Anyway in the light of your sense of being ignored by the list, I offer
the following comments.

I wonder if an autoresponse to a particular alias is the best way to
achieve you objective when using Mailman.

If you want to send material to each user that subscribes successfully
you could do this via the subscribeack.txt template which is used to
form the body of the message sent out to users when they subscribe to a
list.

You can tailor this content for your site, particular virtual hosts or
particular lists, on a language by language basis, depending on where
you place a modified version of any given template file; do not modify
the templates under $prefix/templates/<language> as changes there will
be lost during MM upgrades.

For some explanation of the use of templates see the comments starting
at line 385 of $prefix/Mailman/Utils.py

Please remmeber why people respond to posts to this list requesting
help; its done for the honour, the glory and respect of our peers, when
we have time and when we feel we have something to contribute without
making fools of ourselves and sometimes not even that prospect
constrains us. The list is purely self help so do not get paranoid if
you do not get a response; it may be frustrating but is unlikely to be
a personal slight.

On Wednesday, July 23, 2003, at 05:44  am, Christine De La Rosa wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am a mailman newbie although I have been running mailing lists with
> majordomo for about five years.  I have community website and we run
> about 30 lists.  I have a dedicated RedHat Linux box running cpanel.
> Recently the cpanel folx upgraded my cpanel and also my mailman (I
> didn't know about it).  Now I am running mailman 2.1.2.
>
> I am going to post a few questions I have, but wanted to break them out
> into individual emails for future searching purposes.
>
> Here is my first question.
>
> I have my lists set up to send a questionnaire using the auto-respond
> -request feature.  I noticed that if a potential member clicks on the
> link provided in the confirm subscribe email they do not receive that
> questinnaire.

I guess that is because going through the web does not send a response
to the mail alias which will trigger an auto-response.

> They will only receive it if they reply to the email with
> the confirm+number.  Is this how mailman works?

I guess so.

> Or is this a feature I
> can change?  I want the questionnaire to be sent out if they reply to
> the confirm subscribe email or if they click on the link.

See comments on subscribeack.txt template above.

> Thanks in advance.
> Christine

-----
Richard Barrett