[Mailman-Users] Posting to list via mailman archives

Steve Rothman steve.rothman at creo.com
Mon Jun 2 15:55:50 CEST 2003

I'm wondering if anyone has ever set up their mailman archives so
that people can reply to list messages directly from the web page. I
know it would be trivial to add a mailto link to the list address on
the archive html pages, but I'm thinking more like some sort of
script that would not use mailto -- instead it would provide a text
edit box to the user, and when they clicked "send" a well-formed mail
would be sent to the list address, with the appropriate subject line,
correct headers, etc.

Since the archives are only accessible via the email address &
password, it seems like security should be ok (or at least not any
worse than how email is accepted in general).

I think something like this might be really good for subscribers who
wish to turn off their email and simply monitor the archives - this
way they'd have a good way to respond on-list to messages.  The
"reply to list" function could be switched off if the archived
message is more than x-days old.

Any ideas or advice on setting something like this up? Thanks.

-Steve