[Mailman-Users] slashes in e-mail addresses

Christopher Kolar ckolar at imsa.edu
Mon Jun 30 16:51:16 CEST 2003

At 05:36 AM 6/30/2003, Richard Barrett wrote:
>At 21:09 29/06/2003, Paul H Byerly wrote:
>>       I have someone with a couple of slashes in their e-mail address
>> trying to join a list.  Apparently this is non-standard but "allowed" by
>> some systems - with Mailman not being one of them.
>
>I would disagree that this is non-standard. My reading of section 3.2.5 of
>RFC 2822 says that a quoted string form of the local-part can contain a
>slash character (amongst others) so that "fred/smith/jnr"@some.domain
>should be valid if not that usual. It is not as if the form is an obsolete one.
>
>The address parsing by the functions in the email package handle an email
>address of the form "fred/smith/jnr"@some.domain without apparent problem.
>[....]

There is an open ticket in the system for this:

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=643605&group_id=103&atid=100103

The last time Barry commented he said that it is flagged for 3.0.

--chris

Christopher G. Kolar
    Coordinator of Information and Technology Integration
    Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy
  ckolar at imsa.edu  --
<http://staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar>staff.imsa.edu/~ckolar --  PGP Public Key
ID: 0xC6492C72
         Information literacy news, tools, and programs:
<mailto:infoliteracy-subscribe at iti.cnsnet.imsa.edu>infoliteracy-subscribe at iti.cnsnet.imsa.<mailto:infoliteracy-subscribe at iti.cnsnet.imsa.edu>edu