[Mailman-Users] Failures after Sendmail upgrade

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Sun Mar 2 03:50:02 CET 2003

Jon:
I upgraded via the 8.12.7 tarball, not rpm; the old 8.12.3 version was
rpm'd.

Nope...that wasn't it.  There's no directory sm.bin anywhere on the
server.

I was able to get working by disabling smrsh altogether (removing the
line enabling it in sendmail.mc, then recreating sendmail.cf); the
mailing lists are now functioning as they were before.  However,
I'd like to find a better fix than this, if possible; smrsh does serve
a security function, I suppose!  Thanks again.

-- Bob --

On 1 Mar 2003, Jon Carnes wrote:

> Depending on how you upgraded, it might be checking the wrong directory
> for smrsh information.  There is a note in the Archives discussing this.
>
> === From Keith Steward ===
> When CMDDIR is not defined by the OS, then in smrsh.c it defaults to
> /usr/adm/sm.bin/ .  Even though RedHat7.2 already has an /etc/smrsh/
> directory (including a link entry there for slocal), the Sendmail (at
> least the 8.11.6 version I downloaded and installed) was not using that
> directory.  Instead, it was looking for the default /usr/adm/sm.bin/.
> The /etc/smrsh/ directory was a red herring!  Once I created the
> /usr/adm/sm.bin, and chmod 755 (recommended by the smrsch/README within
> Sendmail), and then set up the symbolic link in there:
>     mailman -> /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman
> the problem disappeared.
> ===
>
> HtH - Jon Carnes
>
> On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 20:57, Bob Sully wrote:
> >
> > Just upgraded to Mailman 2.0.13 from 2.0.8 a couple of weeks ago.  Last
> > week I upgraded Sendmail from 8.12.3 to 8.12.7.  I got a bunch of these
> > back today (after the monthly reminders were sent out).  Is this a
> > Mailman issue or sendmail?
> >

> > The original message was received at Sat, 1 Mar 2003 05:00:14 -0800
> > from cust.64-52-19.058.ip.ebrb.net [64.52.19.58]
> > with id h21D0E40020264
> >
> >    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> > "| /var/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner samohi74"
> >     (reason: Service unavailable)
> >     (expanded from: <samohi74-admin at malibyte.net>)
> >
> >    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> > smrsh: "wrapper" not available for sendmail programs (stat failed)
> > 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
> >

> > It seems that smrsh is the culprit.
> >
> > All was working well until these upgrades were done.
> >
> > Any help with this would be appreciated...
http://www.malibyte.net

"The waiting is the hardest part." - T. Petty