[Mailman-Users] Re: MX Record?

Dallas Bethune dallas at dreamhost.com
Mon Mar 31 19:15:01 CEST 2003

On Monday, March 31, 2003, at 07:43 am, Vivek Khera wrote:

>>> In general, an MX record is not necessary if you have an A record.
>>> That's probably not your problem here.
>
> b> Since when?!  For transporting mail, you certainly DO need an MX
> record!
>
> Since the beginning of time.  You do not *need* an MX record, but if
> one exists you *must* honor it.

To clarify my original message about this, if you do already have an MX
record for domain.com, then you would also need another one for
lists.domain.com if you want list mail to go to a separate smtp server.
  If you don't have any MX records set up at all, you would be ok with
just A records.  It is still always advisable to use MX records of
course, especially if you want to have redundant MX record entries (one
of those good ideas!).

That goes along with what other people have said, of course!

	Dallas