[Mailman-Users] mailmanctl start fails with bad marshal data

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue May 6 15:43:17 CEST 2003

A file or database that it is trying to process has some bad data in it,
which indicates that the file or database is corrupt (or there is a bug
in Mailman).

I had this problem once in version 2.1.1 on a test server after my 4
year old turned it off (not shutdown, just turned off).

Can you run check_db on your lists?

If that doesn't resolve the problem, try removing all files from the
queues (~mailman/qfiles/*/..).

If that doesn't resolve the problem, get rid of any request.db files in
your list's home directories (~mailman/lists/<listname>/..) and delete
any heldmsg* files in ~mailman/data/..

If that still doesn't resolve the problem then one of your binaries
might have become corrupt - reinstall.

My problem was that a binary file had become corrupt (I play with my
test install *alot*). Fortunately I do my installs from source, so I
simply went back to my source files and did a "make install" and that
fixed my problem.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes
===