[Mailman-Users] Aliases ...

Steve Burling srb at umich.edu
Mon May 19 01:18:34 CEST 2003

--On Sunday, May 18, 2003 5:20 PM -0500 schuetzen <chasm at texas.net> wrote:

> I asked the question for a reason.  there are a world of newbies on this
> list. if you want to grow a sport or a software or an OS, you are going
> to hve to be tolerant.  I truly hope that you do not speak with the voice
> of this list. I would really hope that was not true.  Otherwise, those
> who WOULD use mailman would be better off going to either another site
> hosting this s/w OR to another software entirely.
> I see people like you killing fragile sports which only old men engage in
> every day on the playing fields. and then people wonder where the next
> generation of players are going to come from.

To which I reply:

And you got the answer you did for a reason -- setting up mailing list
software like Mailman is not for newbies.  There's the expectation that
someone who is going to set up Mailman will have a certain base set of
knowledge.  If they don't, then they're going to spend a lot of time
flailing around, and asking questions that they should have already figured
out the answers to.

Such folks are better served either using a hosting service that provides
mailing list software, or paying for some product that provides support.

                                             -- Steve

Steve Burling                                    <mailto:srb at umich.edu>
University of Michigan, ICPSR                    Voice: +1 734 615.3779
330 Packard Street                               FAX:   +1 734 647.8700
Ann Arbor, MI 48104-2910