[Mailman-Users] Sun/Cobalt RaQ4 & Mailman - YES they do work!

David J. Duffner - NWCWEB.com mmuserslist at nwcweb.com
Fri May 23 04:17:52 CEST 2003

Greetings,

	I'd posted several questions about 30 days
ago concerning our problem getting Mailman 2.1.2
to work on a Sun/Cobalt RaQ4 series box...

	Amazingly, after weeks of pounding, I can
testify that it IS possible, it all works including
the pipermail archives.

	I will note there's a post in the archives
here from last Oct/Nov that had a good basis for
the installation, the install went smoothly and
everything apparently worked from that point.
But the major situation was that all traffic was
piling up in the qfiles and never being handled,
which had totally baffled me.

	I did have to reference several entries in
the Mailman install guide, the post in the archives
left out several important steps such as the
default 'mailman' list that should exist beyond
the 'test' list that post contained.

	The Pipermail solution for the archives
and permissions was hiding in the archives as
well, but not directly referenced to the RaQ
situation.  Searching for Apache solutions with
slight mods for the Cobalt rewrite did the trick
to liven up the public/private archives.

	Mailmanctl turned out to be the culprit!
While I'd followed the instructions to copy that
script into the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ directory and
had done all I could find to fire it up, including
rebooting the server, the key turned out to be
a requirement to actually issue a:

	sh mailman start

	from the same directory above to actually
TURN ON the whole mess!  For some reason it must
be started once for the RaQ4 to actually do any
processing.  I've rebooted and tested since issuing
that command and it's still pumping traffic just
fine.  Why it requires a start command regardless
of reboots, restarting apache and restarting sendmail
till you're blue in the face - I have no idea. But
I can testify it's working now.

	Thanks to those here who offered advice on
my situation and to having the archives available
to find the other answers.  If I ever find time in
my schedule, I may try to write a complete install
using the previous post as a base with what I had
to do and ensure was in place in order to fire it
up for good.

      David J. Duffner
      VP Operations
      http://www.nwcxpress.com

NWC Corporation - Global e-Pay Solutions
POSA terminals, Merchant Accounts, E-payment
solutions, Gift Cards and much more!
NWCWEB.com - Your design, hosting and e-
commerce solution! Featuring Miva Merchant
e-commerce and Sun Cobalt RaQ platforms