[Mailman-Users] MySQL?

Kevin McCann kmccann at bellanet.org
Fri May 30 20:02:07 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 13:10, Jonathan Knight wrote:

> I chose mailman because it didn't have any complex database backends.  The
> reason is because I run mailman as a mission critical service for Keele
> University and so I want the least amount of software and technology to do
> the job.

<snip>

> If you start adding MySQL into the equation then there's the mailman stuff
> AND the MySQL stuff to set up for duplicate fault tollerant operation.

I respect your position on this. However, many organisations do things
differently. We tend to push the envelope a little bit more and do not
shy away from trying new things, especially when there is a specific
goal in mind. FWIW, we want to create a community-building tool,
something simlar to yahoogroups, but simpler, and with the mailing list
being the focus. We have already done this quite successfully, but using
commercial software (Lyris + ColdFusion on NT). We want to do the same
thing but in an open source envuronment (Mailman + PHP on Linux).

Ideally, the MySQL bridge would be an option or add-on, much like say,
the htdig search tool, the Mhonarc hook, etc. Organisations such as
yours would not be obliged to use it.

(sorry if I'm getting off-topic for this list - maybe the developers
list would be a better place to bandy-about ideas?)

- Kevin