[Mailman-Users] MM 2.1.3 version Mailman-htdig integration patches available

Richard Barrett r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk
Wed Oct 1 12:50:33 CEST 2003

On Wednesday, October 1, 2003, at 07:22  am, Gour wrote:

> Richard Barrett (r.barrett at openinfo.co.uk) wrote:
>
>> I have uploaded updated files to sourceforge for the following patches
>> and bugs I maintain, which include my Mailman-HTdig integration
>> patches. You can  reach them through:
>
> Is there any chance for these patches to become integrated in the
> official
> distribution.

A perfectly reasonable question.

> We are just configuring one server which runs Gentoo and it is a pain
> always manually patch Mailman, instead of plain "emerge".

It is pain for me too, as the author and maintainer of these patches,
particularly #444879 and #444884. I have to retest and, if necessary,
rework and again retest them against each new MM release. Yes, I would
have to do some of this work as I use the patches on systems I manage
but the time and effort to try an deliver a trouble free and documented
patch to a wider community arguably doubles the effort I expend.

As I write, the sourceforge page for patch #444884 appears to be broken
(again), probably because the number of files associated with the patch
has hit some PHP limit when rendering the page - that was the problem
the last time this occurred.

All these files have accumulated to cater for the numerous releases of
MM since I first developed the patch (and some fixing of my bugs
introduced by my patched code). But I do not have the necessary
privileges to delete the older, obsolete files from sourceforge.

But the real problem is that no consensus has been reached on
committing Mailman to use of the HTdig search engine for archive
search. With posts to mailman-users and mailman-developers lists by
some subscribers that express negative views about HTdig, this
consensus is not likely to be reached. Also, I believe the main MM
developers are not keen on bundling HTdig with MM or tying MM too
tightly to HTdig.

I have a half completed rework of the #444884 patch to make it more of
a "search framework", so that a variety of search engines could be
plugged in more readily, but finding the time and effort to complete
this is a problem for me. And, if I am honest, I doubt that even this
would be admitted to the core MM code before MM 3. Take patch #444879,
which has been entirely search engine agnostic and configured to do
nothing be default for some considerable time, and that has not been
accepted into the CVS. To cap it all, MM 3 is supposed to get a better
built-in archiver (than the current pipermail implementation)
incorporating built-in search; so why waste my time and effort on
figuring out enhanced changes to obsolescent code.

Others must speak to their view but I doubt you will see this problem
resolved before MM 3.