[Mailman-Users] Re: Internal vs. external mail addresses

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Sat Oct 4 20:41:41 CEST 2003

Paul Smith wrote:
>I have some internal mailing lists that are trying to be closed (only
>members can post without moderator approval).
>
>Unfortunately, we have different email addresses for internal
>vs. external mail, and our Exchange (:-/) server rewrites our addresses
>for mail we send internally to be from the internal address, even if we
>have a From: line etc. using the external address.
>
>So, when people send mail to the list part of the time it looks like it
>comes from their external address, and part of the time it looks like it
>comes from their internal address.  When the mail looks like it comes
>from the "other" address and it's addressed to a closed list, the moder
>has to approve it (or they have to allow every user's alternate address
>individually).  This is a major pain!
>

>I'm wondering if there's any capability in Mailman to have it understand
>that two different mail domains are really equivalent, so that
>psmith at foobar.com is the same as psmith at lists.foo.bar.com  (for
>example)?

      When the moderator approves such a message s/he can also set the
"other" address to be accepted even though it's not a member.  When
approving from the web interface, check the check box that says "Add
name at domain.tld to a sender filter" and click the "Accepts" radio
button.  That is the last time that address will need to be approved.

<>< Paul

<>< Paul