[Mailman-Users] Re: Creating a simple subscriber interface

Paul H Byerly paul at thcwd.com
Thu Oct 9 20:14:06 CEST 2003

Brandon Ballheim wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm looking to create a very simple user interface for my subscribers.  I am
>creating an Announcement mailing list. I want to keep it simple because I
>can't assume my users are very computer literate (think elderly grandmother
>type).  Specifically I'd like to do the following:
>
>*       Create a simple web-base form for the user to subscribe/unsubscribe
>(requiring email address only).
>I envision this would be a web form that would simply submit email to
>Mailman.  I'm using AspMail 3.0.

      I use a highly modifies version of Matts FormMail script
<http://www.scriptarchive.com/formmail.html> to send mail from a web page
to Mailman on the same server.  I think this could work for you.

>*       Eliminate the need for any subscriber configuration.  Also, thereby
>eliminate the need for passwords.

      I think you can do this by careful tweaking of the settings.  I don't
know that removing the confirmation e-mail is going to be easy, but then
you might want to keep that anyway.  You should be able to edit what is in
that e-mail to remove any reference to password.  Make sure you give clear
unsub by e-mail directions.

>*       Could someone tell me where I could find some working samples (code
>samples) for an implementation like the one I described?

I'm going to need something like this myself down the road, I'll post it
when I do it if no one else offerers anything.  But it may be a good while.

<>< Paul