[Mailman-Users] email looping - autoresponders - how to stop it?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Mon Oct 20 18:48:24 CEST 2003

    > email looping - autoresponders - how to stop it?

I don't know if Mailman has any capability in this area.  You can push
things through procmail though and have it control the generation of the
automatic response.  I have a non-Mailman email alias which I manage this
way.  Its procmailrc file has a rule like this:

    ALTFROM=smontanaro at yahoo.com
    MY_XLOOP="X-Loop: ${ALTFROM}"
    FORMAIL=/usr/bin/formail
    SENDMAIL=/usr/sbin/sendmail

    :0 Whc: reply.lock
    * !^FROM_DAEMON
    * !^$MY_XLOOP
    | $FORMAIL -rD 65536 $HOME/.msg.cache

      :0 ehc         # if the name was not in the cache
      | ($FORMAIL -rA"Precedence: junk" -A"$MY_XLOOP" ; \
         cat .../auto-reply.txt) | $SENDMAIL -oi -t

A shell script in /etc/cron.weekly deletes the .msg.cache file, thus nobody
gets the auto-response more than once a week.

Skip