[Mailman-Users] umbrella lists

Dave Stern - Former Rocket Scientist dave at umiacs.umd.edu
Thu Oct 23 16:14:02 CEST 2003

We've had probs with nested lists in the past. I think the issue had to do
with private lists (ie only members can post) for both the sublist(s) and
the umbrella list. If set, how could a member of a sublist post to the
umbrella list unless either the umbrella list was unrestricted or the
user was also on the umbrella list? As I understand it, an umbrella list
should *ONLY* be a list of lists and have no users. But that still wont
allow a sublist member from posting to the umbrella, right?   So one
option we've entertained is to wipe and rebuild superlists each night
(ie dump sublist member addresses, wipe and reload them into superlist
instead of having nested list). This also makes employee-exit procedures
harder (how to find all lists a person is a member. I wrote a script that
lists_lists and recursivesly list_members and greps, kinda slow for many
lists.   OTOH, superlists guarantee someone isn't on two sublists and thus
gets two iterations of lists.

What have others done on this issue?

Another concern is; what happens if someone sends to a superlist during a
list rebuild? Is sync_members robust enough to at least always keep one
list of addresses around?

TIA

 David Stern                                            University of Maryland
                Institute for Advanced Computer Studies