[Mailman-Users] restarting a blocked list

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Oct 24 05:10:47 CEST 2003

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 07:37, javier wrote:
> i'm actually working with 2.1.3 (always the latest version is good
> ;-) )
> theory of unix says that two diferents tasks can open and write a file

Do you have the ~mailman/locks directory shared as well?

That should do a fair job of keeping the processes (even on multiple
machines) from writing to the files simultaneously.

> at same time, so i thought that was posible...
>
> Now machine2 is stoped, and DNS only has a mailmans.domain.es ->
> machine1, at momment comunicaciones at cedex.es is working good, so i'm
> beginning to think that "theory of unix" is my problem, and if only
> one machine is working with mailman, comunicaciones @cedex.es  won't
> stop...
>
> anyway, i'll study qfiles, thank you very much jonc, and hope you to
> enjoy my experiment  :-)

Cool.  I've used LVS to do something similar. In my case, I run a
separate process in the background that keeps the background servers
synchronized (and creates a lock file during the sync).

In the end, I think that is a simpler setup, as each server can operate
independently.  Originally I set it up so that only one of the
background servers handled the Web-requests - that removed any latency
issues from users who expect to see the changes instantly propagated.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes