[Mailman-Users] Restrict posting for members only while using NNTP gateway

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Oct 27 06:37:13 CET 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-26 at 19:16, Michael Stucki wrote:
> I am running a mailman installation that uses NNTP synchronisation.
> Due to an increasing amount of spam mails, I would like to restrict posting
> to the lists for members only.
>
> My problem is that this won't work well since I also use NNTP
> synchronisation. Most users who post there are not subscribed to the
> according lists, so their postings would not be accepted anymore.
>
> In my list setup, I can specify a list of non-member addresses whose
> postings were automatically accepted. What I need is something very
> similar, but instead of listing addresses, I'd like to check for a specific
> header information (e.g. Received: from <nntp-server> ...)
>
> Anybody else who ever had this problem? How can I solve it?
>
> Thanks for your comments.
> - michael

I solved this back in the 2.0.x days by doing the integration externally
(at least the feeding from the Newsgroup back into the Mailing list).  I
used an external gateway to feed the news into the Mailing list and the
gateway app posted as a specific user.

Worked great and was very easy to setup.

Originally I wrote my own gateway, but now their are lots of apps that
should do the job.

Another option is to rewrite Mailman to extend the regular expression
search so that it looks at one of the headers (if that header exists).
That would probably take all of 4 lines of code.

Good luck - Jon Carnes