[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman and Debian

Will Yardley william+mm at hq.newdream.net
Wed Oct 29 18:02:57 CET 2003

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 12:54:58PM -0500, Pascal Blanchette wrote:

> I was wondering if there was a reason why the only Mailman version available
> as a stable debian package is version 2.0.11?
> Version 2.1.3 is marked as unstable. Is the new version still in beta or is
> it ready to be deployed on a production site. In other words, would you
> recommend upgrading from 2.0.11 to 2.1.3 on a production site that uses
> mailman extensibly?

You probably want to either backport the package from sarge, find an
existing backport, or else build Mailman from source. I often do the
latter, but use the configure layout from the Debian package.

There does not seem to be a backport at http://www.backports.org/
currently, but you might be able to convince them to do it.

Otherwise, you want to *tempoarily* add a line for sarge or unstable in
your sources list ONLY for the source packages; download the Mailman
source package, and build it (fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage, IIRC). You'll
need to have fakeroot and debhelper packages installed on the build
machine.

You may need to backport some additional packages as either build
depends (only needed on the building machine) or actual depends for the
install.

--
"Since when is skepticism un-American?
Dissent's not treason but they talk like it's the same..."