[Mailman-Users] Uncaught runner exception: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Apr 1 18:15:12 CEST 2004

Hi Jon,

I'm running mailman-2.1.4 and I just received one of these exceptions
this morning while mailman was sending out a reminder mail.  So I'm
not sure this bug is necessarily fixed as you suggested in October.

My (2.1.4) trace is at the end of the message.

-derek

On Thu Oct 9 09:00:41 EDT 2003  Jon Carnes was reported to have said:

> I'm fairly certain that there is a patch that handles this problem, but
> you might want to simply update to the latest version of Mailman.
>
> I believe that problem is caused by a character that is out of range for
> the expected values. The character is probably one used by a different
> language.  Your particular problem occurs when trying to archive the
> message.
>
> You could simply remove the message from queue, or edit it to remove any
> ascii characters that are out-of-range.
>
> Best of Luck - Jon Carnes
>
> BTW: you can search the archives for this list to find the patch and
> other relevant information about this problem
>
> On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 16:18, michael dunston wrote:
> > For the second time in a few weeks, one of my lists has stopped
> > delivering mail.  (Mailman 2.1.1 w/ sendmail) Can anyone possibly
> > provide some ideas on what the error below might mean and how I might
> > solve it?  Last time I ended up deleting and recreating the list as the
> > solution.  Could this possibly be the result of a malformed message?  If
> > so, is there a way to remove it without deleting everything?  Thanks in
> > advance for any suggestions..

> > Oct 07 18:44:48 2003 (485) Uncaught runner exception:
> >     ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)
> > Oct 07 18:44:48 2003 (485) Traceback (most recent call last):
> >   File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 105,
> >     in _oneloop self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
[snip]

My 2.1.4 trace:

Apr 01 05:07:27 2004 (1416) Uncaught runner exception: ASCII encoding error: ord
inal not in range(128)
Apr 01 05:07:27 2004 (1416) Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 110, in _oneloop
    self._onefile(msg, msgdata)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/Runner.py", line 160, in _onefile
    keepqueued = self._dispose(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Queue/OutgoingRunner.py", line 74, in _dispose
    self._func(mlist, msg, msgdata)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 152, in process
    deliveryfunc(mlist, msg, msgdata, envsender, refused, conn)
  File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/SMTPDirect.py", line 351, in bulkdeliver
    msgtext = msg.as_string()
  File "/var/mailman/pythonlib/email/Message.py", line 113, in as_string
    g.flatten(self, unixfrom=unixfrom)
  File "/var/mailman/pythonlib/email/Generator.py", line 103, in flatten
    self._write(msg)
  File "/var/mailman/pythonlib/email/Generator.py", line 131, in _write
    self._dispatch(msg)
  File "/var/mailman/pythonlib/email/Generator.py", line 157, in _dispatch
    meth(msg)
  File "/var/mailman/pythonlib/email/Generator.py", line 203, in _handle_text
    self._fp.write(payload)
UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)