[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] How to remove X-Confirm-Reading requests from mail headers distributed by Mailman?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Sun Apr 4 20:01:22 CEST 2004

Guys --

Can we please drop this? It's been beaten into the ground. I don't
think the mailman development crew has shown itself well here, either,
especially Brad, who seems to be grumpy beyond the needs of the
discussion for some reason. I don't think we as a team managing an open
source project look good right now, it wasn't handled particularly
professionally, IMHO.

and for the record, I tend to disagree with Brad -- I definitely see it
as useful to be able to strip out headers that cause systems to
auto-reply with a return receipt. but since those headers aren't really
standardized, it's not as simply as flipping a switch. what I might do,
stepping back a couple of steps and looking at it somewhat objectively,
is to consider an option that simply strips all non-RFC headers from a
message.

But I'm rather surprised to see us blowing off someone's privacy
concerns here in the heat of whatever grumpiness people brought to the
discussion the last couple of days, and especially doing it as members
of the Mailman team the way we did. All of the points made are
relevant, the way they were made was, well, IMHO less than optimal.

so maybe we should all shut up and let this cool off. Maybe reconsider
the idea once the emotion's drained a bit. But right now, we're not
doing anyone any good on anything.