[Mailman-Users] site list web loop

Trevor Cordes trevor at tecnopolis.ca
Sat Apr 10 13:18:32 CEST 2004

I've always had major problems with the "site list" (Mailman).  I've never
really understood why it is required, and only about half the docs out
there say to set it up (confusing) and the others don't mention it at all.
I've tried running my site with and without this list, and settled on
"with" as the proper solution.

However, lately the following has been occuring:

1. I get viruses (or even legit emails) sent to that email address
(Mailman at mysite.com).

2. Mailman sends me an email telling me of pending moderator requests.  It
tells me to click on the included link to
mysite.com/mailman/admindb/mailman

3. I click on that link and am taken straight to (must be through
redirections): http://mysite.com/mailman/listinfo

4. I click on the "Mailman - no description available" link which I can
see in the source as pointing to http://mysite.com/mailman/listinfo/mailman

5. I am sent nowhere... and am still on the /listinfo page.  It must be
trying to hit listinfo/mailman but redirecting back to listinfo.

6. I'm now in an endless loop and I can never get in to clear the pending
requests!

NOTES: my other 4 mailing lists work perfectly through this interface --
it's just the "site list" that causes problems.

My mailman system has been upgraded many times since I started using it
with RH7.3 (now on FC1).  I always try to preserve existing
lists/archives.  This has always been a great challenge as no docs really
discuss this issue in detail and I've had to wing it.  The reason I
mention this is that there is a good chance my weird migration methods
have messed something up.  I suppose it depends if anyone has this weird
problem also! (try it on your site list and see!)

I could find no references to this problem in the mailing list archives or
the web or usenet (all using google), but this is a hard one to define
search terms for so I apologize if I missed a previous solution.