[Mailman-Users] usenet news <-> mailman gateway config question

texas critter - mailman-users texascritter at ditb.net
Mon Apr 19 01:18:02 CEST 2004

peter at phmb.biz wrote:

> I've got the Default.py file updated to have the correct nntp server and
> the logon details. It should be the ~mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file, but,
> as far as I can see from the documentation, the Default.py file is merged
> with the mm_cfg.py file so it should work.

The reason you're supposed to put your changes in mm_cfg.py is because if
you upgrade Mailman, the Default.py is overwritten during the upgrade
process.  But mm_cfg.py is not overwritten during upgrading so it retains
your customizations.

Mailman FAQ Entry
4.21. Why make changes in mm_cfg.py NOT Defaults.py ?
http://python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.021.htp

hth,
texas critter

--