[Mailman-Users] Bulk alteration of subscriber addresses

Richard Barrett r.barrett at ftel.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 18:48:09 CEST 2004

On 22 Apr 2004, at 13:09, Tony Howat wrote:

> Hi Mailman Users,
>
> The organisation I'm working for is changing it's domain name. I need
> to process all mailing lists on our MailMan system and alter the
> subscribed addresses from our current domain to the new one, leaving
> external subscriber addresses intact.
>
> Has anyone done such a thing, or something similar? DB/python is not
> my area, so any sample code to open a mailman database file and
> recurse through subscribed addresses would be very useful.

using the available command line tools, then for each list:

1.	use $prefix/bin/list_members to extract the subscriber list to a
text file

2. edit the email addresses in the file using sed, a perl script or
whatever text manipulation tool is your preference

3. use $prefix/bin/sync_members to tell MM to update the subscriber list

put a shell wrapper around it to iterate over all your lists.

no knowledge of python or MM internals required