[Mailman-Users] Just upgraded to 2.1.5, mail to list not being processed

Eric Schmitz eschmitz at webbalah.net
Wed Aug 4 02:29:58 CEST 2004

Hi everyone,

    I've been using Mailman for a few years (since 2.0.x), but I'm newly
subscribed to the list. Yeah, another guy who subbed because he needs
some help! ;-)

    I've been using 2.1.2 since last Fall, upgraded this morning to
2.1.5. While this fixed a couple of problems I was having, it seems to
have left me with a new one. Nothing posted to the list address is being
processed by mailman. I have tested the aliases, and they are not the
problem:

## test3 mailing list
test3:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post test3"
test3-admin:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin test3"
test3-bounces:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces test3"
test3-confirm:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm test3"

    ...and so on. If I alias "test3" to another known e-mail address, it
comes through with no problem. But with it set as above, it does not
seem to get to mailman. I see no new heldmsg-test3-####.pck file in
mailman/data

    Permissions on /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman are:

-rwxr-sr-x  1 root  mailman  18396 Aug  3 16:03 mailman

    Couple more bits of information: First, when I installed it, I did
that as root. I know the instructions said not to do that. I could not
run 'make install' under another username. When I did run 'make install'
as root, it ran through, all the way to converting the existing lists
(and the web interface all works fine). But I did get an error at the end:

Updating Mailman 2.1.4 pending.pck database
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "bin/update", line 780, in ?
     errors = main()
   File "bin/update", line 704, in main
     update_pending()
   File "bin/update", line 553, in update_pending
     db = cPickle.load(fp)
cPickle.BadPickleGet: 73
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/local/mailman-2.1.5.

    If this information makes sense to anyone, and you have a
suggestion, I would be much obliged. Obviously I'm willing to provide
any other information needed. Thanks so much!

-Eric Schmitz