[Mailman-Users] Security

Ian A B Eiloart iane at sussex.ac.uk
Thu Aug 12 10:55:00 CEST 2004

--On Wednesday, August 11, 2004 4:45 pm +0200 Brad Knowles
<brad.knowles at skynet.be> wrote:

> At 3:28 PM +0100 2004-08-11, Ian A B Eiloart wrote:
>
>>  I guess you'd still need to ensure the kids used good passwords and
>>  didn't share them.
>
> 	Then there's the spyware issue.  I mentioned this privately in e-mail to
> Johnathan, but I'll also copy the relevant paragraphs here:
>

> 	Recent reports are that the average PC has something like 30 pieces of
> spyware on it.  Each piece of spyware can do things like sniff every
> packet coming into or going out of the system, everything typed at the
> keyboard, everything cut-n-pasted through the clipboard, etc....

.
.
.

> 	As I said, it depends on what you call "secure".

Ah, fair point. I guess you could insist that the kids all have Macs, not
windows PCs. But, if you are in a school campus environment, then you could
just remove access to the internet.

Anyway, if that level of security is a problem, then it applies to much
much more than mailing lists. I think the question "is mailman secure
enough to do X" should be taken to read "are there any additional security
issues involved". I think the answer is "Yes", but mailman has the tools to
address them.

Is there a primer on Mailman security anywhere?

--
Ian Eiloart
Servers Team